Tuesday 12 June 2012

He's got a brand new car, looks like a Jaguar...

If you don't get the title, listen to
"Buck Rogers"by Feeder ;)
I totally thought of that post title while trying to find myself dinner at the local supermarket. No doubt I looked insane when I started laughing to myself infront of a family. Awkward. Anyway...


After an embarrassing loss to a T3 gatecamp earlier this week, I managed to fly my brand new Jaguar Assault Frigate around LowSec without get horrendously murdered, and I also managed to pick up a kill while I was there :D

I started out by jumping into Gademam from HighSec, a habit I developed after losing around 4-5 ships to the frequent camps on the Amdonen gate. Local was pretty much dead in all the systems I went through, until I met a Cyclone going the other way on the Ami/Daran gate. Remembering that my Cyclone has trouble fighting smaller targets, I decided to tail him in the hope he would engage me either on gate, or while aggroed by rats in a belt (every bit of DPS helps vs bigger targets :P).

Instead he utterly ignored me as I followed him back to Gademam, at which point I gave up on him fighting me, and held my cloak over the gate. Within a few seconds, an Ishkur landed on the gate and jumped through. Excited at the prospect of another AF vs AF fight, I followed him back through into Pananan, and we sat on gate next to each other for a while. At this point, RL reared its ugly head, and I found out I only had a few minutes to fight this guy. Not bothering to mess around, I warped off to a nearby planet at around 70km and hoped he would follow. I waited for about 15 seconds, before realising he had probably assumed I had warped to the belt. I started to write "I'm at planet VI" in Local when he landed about 50km off me. Obviously he was fairly competent with the D-Scan.

Instead I quickly mentioned I just wanted some quick pewpew before I had to log off, and wished him good luck. I'm happy to say he wished me luck back, and we started to burn at each other.

Yes I killed another Ishkur, boring I know ;)
I had decided already that getting close to his blasters would end with me sitting next to a mangled wreck, so I set my orbit to around 7km and loaded my Fusion ammo, remembering the Gallente resist hole was fairly large (even using double resist rigs to plug it). I hoped my web would slow him to the point where I could maintain range, and loaded my Optimal Range Disruption Script just to really mess with his damage projection. I almost loaded Tracking Speed Disruption, before I half-remembered that small blasters have among the highest base tracking speeds, and decided not to risk it.

At 10km from each other I turned on my web, waited a second, then hit my scram. Overheating my guns I tried to concentrate on holding range from those face-melting blasters. I was worried with how much damage his drones were putting out, but I broke his shields before he broke mine, so I felt I had time to do some serious damage to his armour. His blasters were missing the majority of their shots from what I remember seeing, which was a blessing because his Hobgoblin IIs were enough of a problem on their own.

By the end of the fight I was low on cap and low on armour. I had switched to manual piloting to keep my transversal high (minimise his blaster damage) and as a result I had dipped a little too close to his guns a couple of times. Suffice to say, the damage I received skyrocketed at these points ;) He was in deep hull (I think around 40%) as my armour was stripped away, but frankly Gallente ships have a tendency for "secret hull-tanking", and I was worried my hull would drop before his. I spammed my rep to keep it cycling a few more precious seconds as my cap ran dry with increasing freqency, and hoped my guns would get a few lucky shots in to save my ass. They did so just as I had decided to bail on the fight like the big coward I am.

My hull was at 94% when he exploded, and it was a seriously close thing. A few more volleys from his blasters and my ship would have been no more than radioactive sludge. I typed "gfgf" in Local, and received one in return \o/

One more kill under my belt, and an awesome fight with an honourable solo pilot makes for a good evening I think :P


1 comment:

  1. nice fight!

    At least, unlike my encounter last night, I lost my jag to a Drake gatecamp >_<. I tried to gatecrash, but the insta lockers were having none of it.

    ReplyDelete