Saturday 8 September 2012

Fighting and dying

Holy jesus, Orcas are incredible. Like seriously, where has this ship been all my (EVE) life?

My Orca, "Homeward Bound" (Also EVE is really pretty and stuff)

I bought an Orca a few days ago in order to help my move to Black Rise, and it's been utterly indispensable during this time. It aligns and warps faster than my slower-than-a-pig-stuck-in-treacle Providence, and you can hide the really expensive stuff in the corp hangar. Also you can carry rigged ships (like my precious assault frigates) in the ship maintenance bay, meaning you don't have to destroy rigs, or take up precious cargo space. You can even refit your ship using it. Oh, and if you've trained the relevant skills, (and have a POS handy), you can make it work as a ghetto fleet booster. It just does everything.  It's an excellent ship, and if you're undecided over buying one, just do it. You won't regret it.

Anyway, Orca worship over, it's time to talk FW.

"For the Federation or something!"

I've already had my first pod lossmail in ages while flying in FW for less than four days. I found it pretty funny at the time though.

I was with a small frigate/destroyer gang, and we'd spent the evening getting blue-balled by the squids. Our FC, MetalDev, got bored while flying us home, and decided to engage a neutral Magnate (or something like that) on gate. Of course, then guns blew him to shreds and we all had a good laugh. He then gave me command of the fleet while he went to fetch a new ship. Ten pairs of ears turned to me.

"Ehmmmm"

Luckily for my dignity, a squid Merlin turned up at that point, 100km off-gate. Pretty much instantly we started conferring on the best way to catch him. This is something I quite like about FW fleets. The vast majority of players are decent solo PvPers in their own right, so everyone always has some good ideas to throw into the general melee of discussion. (Not that I'm saying that gang PvPers are clueless idiots, it just seems solo players are more willing to speak up and give their opinion). This meant that I had five or six people giving me some options to play with. In the end however, I said "Fuck it" and burned for the Merlin, head on. He warped off to a nearby gate, so I ordered the fleet to follow, and hold on gate. As we landed, the Merlin jumped through and I followed him, half scout, half hero tackle.

Right into a squid cruiser gang.

Teamspeak
MeYeah, yeah I'm jumping after him
MetalDev: Try and catch him on the other side
Me: Will do. Oh shit...
Most of the fleet: Lol what?
Me: Squids. Lots of Squids
Everyone: You're dead man :)
Me: Lol yeah don't follow

Deciding I might just make it back to gate, I overheated my MWD, and spammed approach on the gate. Annoyingly I was scrammed within about three seconds, so my MWD cut out. Even so, I managed to slowboat to within 4km of the gate before my Thrasher assploded. Laughing over TS, I spammed the warp button on my "Selected Item" window, which was currently the Sun. I managed to double click the window itself instead.

Well crap.

For anyone that doesn't know, double clicking a window is a shortcut for minimising it. My selected item window vanished, and I before I could right-click warp, an Enyo had pointed my shiny green ass.

Pop.

But it's not all lossmails. Last night, I tagged along with an impromtu gang/roaming gatecamp, and managed to whore on a couple of kills (everything else died before I could lock it/reach it, to give you an idea of the speed stuff melted). I helped kill a squid Drake, and a few minutes later, a friendly Atron accidentally decloaked a flashy Falcon, who seemed to have warped 20km or so from the gate while under cloak.

This kill was fairly funny, because both sides seemed to stare at each other in stunned surprise for a few seconds before shouts of "POINT THE BASTARD!!" came from just about everyone.

He was then swiftly swarmed by our frigates and torn to pieces, with me close enough to sneak on the mail.

I almost felt bad for the Drake pilot

So, yet more fun and games in Faction Warfare! I'm told our LP dump is coming up in a few weeks, so hopefully I'll make some stupid ISK from that to fund a few expensive ships. Which I'll then lose of course :P

I've always wanted to try a Navy Issue Vexor...

Fly safe !

No comments:

Post a Comment