Saturday 28 April 2012

Well, my luck is holding so far!

I love this Vengeance.

There are no other words to say it. Pew pew.

Yes I know they're semi-fail fits. Yeah neither of the pilots are PvP gods. But my little Assault Frigate took down two battlecruisers without breaking a sweat. That, is why Assault Frigates are awesome. I have no doubt that a Jaguar, or a Wolf, or an Ishkur, or any of the other AFs could have done this too.

But how did this happen?

Well I was bored in Amarr the other night, when I realised that "Messing with Mission Bears" is possible in any system with mission agents. Oh hey look, Amarr has a L3 Mission Agent. So I accepted and declined a few missions to see which systems came up the most. Hedion and Irnin were pretty frequent destinations, so I plumped for Hedion and moved my scanning frigate and salvage destroyer into the station. I got some rage in Local after crashing a few missions, but nobody took any potshots at me until today.

It's a shame because Harbingers are pretty ships...
I had scanned down the two Harbingers to the same mission. I assumed if they needed two battlecruisers to run Level 3's, they were probably quite new to the game, or an older player was guiding a newbie through the basics. Either way, I was confident one of them would take a shot at me.

The mission had several rooms, so I looted one of the wrecks before they even saw me to start my aggression timer ticking down. I was planning on waiting outside the Amarr station just as aggro ran out for them, so I could get a surprise attack in as they undocked. I then warped into the next room, where they were still clearing up rats. I passive scanned both ships, and the fits were workable, but definitely not great mission material. (One of them had a web and scram for christsakes). I was pretty confident I would be able to kill one of them, though the other would likely warp off once his buddy was dead (If I survived the combined DPS of the two of them anyway).

One of them locked me up, but they both ignored me until the mission was complete, and then they just sat next to each other with me locked. I assumed they wouldn't want to aggro without holding me down, so I tried to burn past them with my MWD, just in range to get scrammed, but out of range enough that I could warp off. It didn't work, because they had a web too (which I had forgotten about) but it provided some useful intel before I exploded.

The main thing was I took along time to die, even in an utterly untanked Thrasher. I was trying to burn off at odd angles, and managed to survive for about two minutes under sustained fire from the both of them. Another thing was, these people clearly did not understand optimal ranges, using beam lasers at 10km or less is just... well stupid to be frank. If anything, losing my Thrasher made me more confident I could engage them and win. After I exploded, I warped back to Amarr, docked up and checked out my stable of ships.

And once again, "Project K" just sat there and dared me. Oh I dare.

I undocked in my Vengeance, and warped to Hedion. I popped through the gate, and literally as I warped off back into the mission space, I saw them both land on the gate. Sigh. I landed, turned around and jumped back into Amarr.

Warping to my 300km undock, I loitered underneath the station, and waited for them to accept a new mission. I was planning on letting them jump through the gate into whatever system it was, then tackling one of them on the other side before he could warp off. Hopefully he would aggro me, and therefore block himself from jumping back through the gate due to aggression. After about three or four minutes, one of the Harbingers undocked, and warped towards the Kor Azor gate. Jackpot!

I warped after him and jumped through before he did. I held my cloak on the other side, hoping he would jump in near to me. The gate flashed, and a few seconds later he uncloaked 30km off me. Crap.

I went for the straight up approach and turned on my afterburner while burning right up his ass, not bothering to get fancy with spiraling. I needed speed, and by the looks of it he hadn't noticed me anyway. I guess my timer had run out and I was no longer a conspicuous flashy red to him. That's fine with me, because I  could still open fire. I'm not quite sure what happened because it looked like he started warping, then turned back to the gate. I was certain I was going to lose him, but instead I was suddenly all up in his grill, so I turned on my scram, web and rocket launchers, orbited close and prayed.

And it was easy. Disgustingly easy. His beam lasers didn't have an icecube in hell's chance of hitting me at only 1km off, and he must have clean forgot about drones, or not bothered sending them out. I started recording once I was in a good orbit and wearing down his armour (once again, the video was filmed with a potato). Not much was happening until about halfway through the fight, when his friend jumped in (also in a Harbinger) and aggroed me too. I was expecting it to get a little dicey at this point, but his guns weren't hitting me either.

Eventually the first Harbinger popped and I moved onto the second. He got a few decent shots on me until I was back into a tight orbit, and then the fight was pretty much a carbon copy of the last one. Orbit, fire rockets, make sure I don't lose transversal. Repeat ad infinium. He popped too. Pew pew!

But after the fights I felt almost cheated, not because of the loot or anything, but more because it didn't require any skill on my part. Anybody can sit at 1km from a poorly fit battlecruiser and grind him down. Hell I could have done it in a Rifter. I even felt a little guilty for some reason. But then I saw the killmails and I frankly didn't care anymore, I wasn't going to complain about some more notches in my belt :P

So anyway, Project K is alive and well, with three kills to its name. Maybe I'll get a few more, maybe I'll die in a fire. Either way, this is the most fun I've ever had in a ship :)


No comments:

Post a Comment