Monday 12 November 2012

Fly 'till I die

Well I'm moving again.

I know, I know; I've not been in Faction Warfare very long, and I'm already heading off somewhere else? Hardly an exhaustive trial. And I bet some of you are thinking "Oho, now CCP have nerfed FW payouts, Seraph doesn't want to know anymore".

Yeah you'd be kinda right. But shut up.

Because I want to try something new. As fun as FW is, it's too much like my old pirate lifestyle at times. Yeah I don't lose security for blowing up those squids, and it's pretty nice to earn LP for shooting crap, but it's still in LowSec. And I'm at the stage where LowSec mechanics are no longer working for me, but against me, since EVERYONE will happily take potshots at a solo pirate frigate. I'm hoping the upcoming Retribution expansion will change that somewhat (no more GCC when shooting off gates! Finally!), but currently I want more unrestricted fighting. Why shouldn't I be able to murder that Hoarder in my Rifter while on a gate? It's not my fault he decided to use a T1 hauler to move his sweet sweet loot through dangerous space.

These angry people are about to molest some other angry people.
Very exciting.
Which makes the obvious choice for me venturing into NullSec. But while I'm comfortable with LowSec mechanics, NullSec is like some sort of witchcraft to me. I've had pretty much zero experience in Null, and like LowSec in the past, I'm somewhat nervous about venturing in there alone. And I've got no real interest in Sov Warfare currently, so I wouldn't want to join a massive alliance and get constant CTAs flung in my face. Also being perpetually molested by SuperCaps/Draek fleets/hotdrops is not my idea of a good time.


So I was undecided. LowSec was getting old, but Nullsec seemed insurmountable on my own.

Then I saw my old buddy Korvus Falek over at the Korvus Kut had moved out to NullSec and joined "Suicides-R-Us", a member of "Brick Squad" Alliance. I was intrigued, since it sounded pretty much pure small gang PvP, combined with "LOLOLOLOL DROWN IN ISK" PvE. I liked the sound of that quite alot. So I dropped him a mail, and we started chatting. Turns out he can effectively "fast-track" me through recruitment on his recommendation, and I'd even get help moving my crap out there.

Sweet!

But frankly I'd rather not have to deal with all the ships in my hangar being moved out to Null, so I decided on a better plan.

Every ship currently in my hangar will be flown in Faction Warfare until it explodes.

This is probably my favourite ad for EVE, frigates murdering battleships

Like all of them. That's atleast 80 ships at the last count (though many are currently unfitted, like a stack of Thrashers I've been working through), which is going to be a fair chunk of insurance money coming back my way, and hopefully alot of "good fites".

Obviously I'm not going to fly like a total drooling retard, and engage things stupidly, but at the same time I'm going to be saying "Ah, screw it" much more, and taking fights I'd usually avoid. So my countdown to NullSec is measured in the number of ships I have left. I've already lost several in dumb ways, but I also got some decent kills, so I'll be looking forward to lots of fighting in the next few days!


Of course I'd like to point out that me leaving FW is in no way a poor indication of the quality of the gameplay, corps or people involved.It's just that it just feels too "familiar" to me, and I want to try things I've not done before in EVE.

I'll resist making a joke about "unexplored holes" here
For example, I'd like to join a Wormhole corp/alliance at some point in the future and try that lifestyle out too. I don't feel I've got the SP to be a useful asset yet (like a T3, probing skills, HICs, Recons, other important ship types in Wormhole space), since you don't see many frigate gangs in Wormholes from what I've heard. But I'll start with Null, since it'll introduce me to bubble mechanics and the like. Baby steps are the way for me :D


HighSec? Done it.
LowSec? Done it.
NullSec? On the way :)

Fly safe!

5 comments:

  1. Brick is not small gang. At best they are mid-sized to blob-size gangs. If small gang is really want you want, you'll need to try a group similar to corporations that live in Curse, or some other group that frequently raids 0.0.

    But since you are changing from low-sec to null-sec, why not move to a blob organziation as well? If you don't like it, at worst you'll have learned what 0.0 sov space is really like.

    You have enough isk, so I'd recommend leaving all your stuff behind, so that if you do decide to leave (or the alliance relocates, as is often the case for various reasons), you don't need to drag all of it with you. Just buy new when you're out there: it's easier, faster, and more secure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Youre completely correct in the blob warfare type of stuff Brick engages in. However, there are many smaller fleets that go out roaming. My corp (Suicides-R-Us) is building up a SRP for members going on these roams and such. We're going to be focusing on medium ship combat rather than battleship or capital blobs. This focus comes from my direction directly, as I come from a small ship background and want to move towards competent mid-size fleet doctrine.

      On a side note, Truen1ght, thanks to your advice and suggestions (and getting SRP going), Ive made it up to director status in DIII. Which is pretty cool imo.

      And yes, Seraph, Like True said, leave the majority of your stuff behind in low or home sec. Just bring out 2 or 3 ships to get you started; most of what you will need for fleets will be out here or hauled in if its not from Jita.

      ~Korvus

      Delete
    2. And forgot to mention WHs. Several members in DIII are interested in wormholes as well; and Ive been nudging in that direction too. We've jumped into a few wormholes that opened up in our systems and just the other day, the industrial corp I recently recruited to the alliance showed its teeth: by killing a vindi and archon that invaded our ratting system (traded a tengu and some other smaller things).

      Delete
    3. I don't have any problems with blob warfare. In fact, I stay in null-sec partly because of the blobs. For me, the blobs, the large gangs, mid-sized, small, or even solo roams/fights are all fun. PvP is PvP (for me). I like the mix: being stuck doing just small gang or just blob, etc, would bore me.

      That said, there are many that join 0.0 and soon leave because of "being blobbed" or "blobbing", aka "lack of good fights". You would not believe how often I hear these complaints. So this is why I stressed the above. No 0.0 sov corp is small gang even half the time. You will be required to join CTAs, and most roams at the alliance level will likely be 50+ guys minimum "or else we can't do anything we'll just get blobbed". You can do smaller roams (# of pilots ranges from you to that), but it will not be the norm at all. A fleet smaller than 50 typically means a corp roam, or a cloaky roam.

      Korvus, battlecruiser fleets (nagas, nados, canes and drakes) etc, are fairly common for 0.0. I would be honestly astounded to find out your corp was regularly running BS and up roams. BS and up is typically CTA level. Most groups don't run BS roams because they're usually each to catch in just about anything smaller, and why put out the isk for BS DPS from BS's when you can get the same DPS for half the ISK with tier3's?

      As for the why, it's simply because the majority of most 0.0 corps are actually nullbears, not PvPers. This is true even in my corp, where we throw up a corp roam in US TZ and it ends up being 2-4 of us tops when 11 are online. They'll show for the CTAs because they want to hold space because nullsec money is rediculous, but beyond that, expect far fewer numbers.

      Just an idea for your SRP if you haven't had it already: designate a day for the corp to rat at 100% tax. Proceeds go to corp and fund the SRP for members who participated. If the members don't like this idea, still hold the corp ratting day at 0% tax, so that each pilot can fund his own replacements (after you say run 20 or so WH sites as a group). Both ways, only those who contributed get any SRP, and those who chose not to don't. Just to give a sense of scale for how much SRP you need, my corp goes through about a bil a week in corp SRP (that's about 7-8 losses). Anything the alliance covers we don't reimburse though.

      Delete
  2. I'm going to join RvB in december and lookign very excited for it. Being a carebaer and doing somethign like "carebaer"-PvP with RvB is a good preparation to join a 0.0 Allianz in the next year :)

    ReplyDelete