Friday 5 April 2013

That awkward moment when you're still not dead

Yesterday I was on a roll.

No seriously stop laughing, I was doing really well and I don't know why. I've been flying terribly these last few weeks and my killboard has been suffering for it, so I've been trying to fly less expensive ships until I get over this bump in the road. Which led to yesterday's shenanigans!

I started out at around lunchtime, messing with a Coercer hull that I've had hanging around for like, ever. I realised I actually had the stuff to fit it too. "Well why not?" I thought. "It's going to be cheap after insurance anyway"

So I quickly cobble together a fit from what I've got in my module box and my loot box. It looks half decent so I decide to give it a try. I undock from Ualkin and head towards Amamake, since it's normally pretty busy with frigates around now.

Here's the fit if you want to give it a try:

Coercer - Pew
Highs
8 x Dual Light Pulse Laser II (Scorch S/Imperial Navy Multi S)

Mids
Warp Disruptor II
Limited 1MN Microwarpdrive I

Lows
Heat Sink II
400mm Reinforced Rolled Tungsten Plate I
Damage Control II

Rigs
Small Energy Collision Accelerator I
Small Energy Metastasis Adjuster I
Small Anti-Explosive Pump I

When I arrived, Amamake was being terrorised by an armour BC gang so I decided to head to the surrounding systems for targets. Almost straight away I saw a Condor in Vard in a small plex, so I warped on over, Scorch loaded and hoped he would decide to go for me. I land in the plex only 5km from him. He's not moving. So I insta-blapped him.

Laughing I warp away and keep roaming, eventually moving through Auga where I see another Coercer on scan. "Screw it" I thought.

Warping in I hope I'll atleast get him into hull before I die, since I'm fully expecting this fight to go badly. I land about 15km from him, switch to Scorch again and whack up the overheat. He starts firing back, but most of his shots seem to miss, and he explodes gloriously just as my shields break. Looting the wreck shows me why, Tech 1 lasers and only gamma crystals. Unlucky good sir!

I offer a "gf gf" in Local and keep moving, pumped from my two victories (shut up, wins have been thin on the ground for me recently ;D). I head back to Ualkin to drop off my loot and decide to switch to my shield Thrasher for a few jumps. Heading back towards Amamake again, I spot a fellow Thrasher in a small plex, and warp over to engage.

I land only 5km from him, so I bump him with my MWD incase he's trying to align out and overheat my top rack, spewing phased plasma rounds straight into his shields at point blank range. He doesn't react for a few seconds before beginning to lock me back but it's far too late. By the time I'm at 3/4 shields he's already in hull, and soon pops. I scoop loot then check D-Scan on short range, hoping a foolish frigate will come in for a brawl.

Oh shit, AF gang.

I warp off just as the first  Hawk lands. That was a close one.

I head back to Ualkin, drop loot and switch back to my Coercer, missing the comforting "bzzzt-pew" of my lasers. Once again, I roam around the Amamake area, looking for fights which seem plentiful today. I quickly find another noob frigate hiding in a small plex, this time a Tristan in Kourmonen.

Landing 16km off him, I start burning over under MWD while sticking my long point on him. He sticks his drones on me in return (which I shit you not, were Navy Acolytes) and starts burning away, presumably trying to pull range but with my overheated MWD we're going the pretty much the same speed.

In the same direction.

No tracking issues at all, he goes down in five cycles of my lasers. I laugh again, scoop the loot and realise he's still sitting there in his pod.

Point. Lasers. Pop. Scoop the corpse.

I dock up to repair my MWD which has taken some heat damage and roam out again. I catch sight of a Federation Navy Comet in a small plex and argue with myself about engaging for a while. Then I decide to ride my luck and engage anyway.

Warping into the plex finds me 20km from the Comet, and a quick glance at his ship shows railguns.

Thank god!

He tries to hold range at around 10-12km, which I'm perfectly happy to let him do with the incredible thing that Scorch is, I just burn at him to make him fly in a straight line away from me. Both of us are overheating, and the damage I'm doing is bleeding through into his hull (he's active tanked). I'm slowly dying and I'm worried I'm not going to pull through this alive.

50% armour...
40% armour. He's barely into hull...
30% armour. Shit come on baby!
20% armour. He's in half hull.
15% DON'T DO THIS TO ME, PLEASE!
10% A beautiful blue flash.

And I'm still alive!

"Gf" is swapped in Local, and I head over to the wreck like the vulture I am. And I get a dose of good luck... A 50mil ISK loot drop!

Epic win!

Cackling hysterically to myself I snatch the modules and run back to Ualkin, dropping them straight into my loot box. I admire my stuff for a few minutes before I head back out again, feeling in my bones I've still got some fight left in me. And I find it pretty fast in Siseide, where I see a Rifter warping to plexes, maybe scouting them. After a few minutes I catch him at the entrance to a novice plex and melt him.

Heheh I love these lasers.

Still warping around Siseide I catch sight of a Merlin on scan at a small plex.

Warping to the accel gate sees a Tristan landing next to me. Is he a friend of the Merlin? He warps in before me, and I hold on the gate for a few seconds deciding. Then I realise I might aswell go out with a bang, and warp in.

When I land I see the Merlin and the Tristan already blazing away at each other, so I decide to join in the fun. I lock them both up, point the Tristan and start melting the Merlin with my lasers, relying on the Tristan to point the Merlin for me. Pro tactics, am I right?

The Merlin pretty much collapses under the weight of our DPS, so I switch my guns over to the Tristan, hoping to get him before he slips under my tracking. Unluckily for him, he had been orbiting the Merlin, so when it popped, he slowed and stopped moving for a few seconds. Those few seconds got me several overheated wrecking hits with Imperial Navy Multifrequency crystals, and basically vaporised his Tristan before his drones even nibbled my armour.

Amarr Victor!

Apologising to both the pilots for crashing their party, I looted the wrecks and went back to Ualkin. They both seemed pretty cool with me joining in, since they both got killmails for their efforts even if I was the only one to be alive at the end.

So today was a good day for PvP, and I've found a new ship that I love to fly. I think things are finally looking up for my killboard!


Anyway, good luck out there guys :)


2 comments:

  1. Nice kills, man! Ive flown the coercer a bit and it seems like a pretty good ship.

    ~Korvus

    ReplyDelete