Saturday 25 May 2013

Lots of Luck + Limited skill = Double kill


So I thought I’d share a little engagement I had a week or so back with you guys, mainly because it’s one of the first times in a long time that I’ve actually had such a good fight.

Armour Breachers go!
I was roaming around FW space in my trusty armour BreacherCyno”, looking for some targets to murder. In the last week or so, the Amarr Militia has led a massive counter-attack against the Minmatar, and we’re doing pretty damn well. I think in terms of systems, we’ve got the upper hand at the moment, and we’re beginning to assault the Amamake area as of writing this.




We’re also currently sitting on Tier 3 for LP rewards, which gives us a 50% LP bonus to everything, including plexing. That’s made making money for frigates much easier, if you capture two novice plexes while out solo roaming, you’ve easily covered your little T1 frigate with some left over.

But anyway, I end up in Oyonata, only one jump from Sahtogas and notice a Wolf on D-Scan at the Sun. Despite the fact he was technically better ship than my Breacher, I felt confident about engaging. I’ve flown Wolves before, and I know that despite their massive DPS and excellent falloff, they have poor range dictation due to only possessing two mids. I was pretty sure I would be able to abuse the extended range of my rockets, so I warped in at 50km from the Sun.

I landed at the Sun with the Wolf about 60km from me. We both sat there for a few seconds, and I wondered what I should do. I began to move towards him without my AB on, just to see how he'd react. After a couple of seconds, he turned towards me and lit a MWD. This made me much more confident about controlling range in this engagement, since my AB/Web/Scram would give me excellent control compared to his MWD and scram. I turned away from slightly, at a 45 degree angle to prevent him crashing into me and melting my ship before I could start holding range.

When he hit 28km, he pointed me. A long point instead of a scram? “Shit” I thought “It’s an arty-Wolf”.

Sure enough the artillery fire smashed into my shields a few seconds later. I realised I had to scram this guy down before he pulled range and blew me apart. Turning back towards him, I overheated my AB and tackle.  He was still on approach under MWD, so I quickly had him within 9km, scrammed and webbed. A serious mistake on the part of the Wolf pilot to be sure, but I wasn't out of the woods yet.

My first instinct was to go through with my original plan, i.e hold at about 6km while tracking disrupting him and burn him down, so I went with that. No dice, he was still getting massive volleys off at me, and I was going to enter hull soon with only 30% armour left. I orbited in closer, changing my optimal disruption script for tracking speed and hoped I’d survive. The guns stopped hitting me once I got in a tight orbit, and the Wolf was taking a serious pounding from my Nova rockets. When he had about 50% armour left, my spider senses tingled, and I hit my D-Scan on short range, having the sneaking suspicion someone would come running in to save the Wolf from such an ignoble death. Sure enough, there was an Incursus on scan, no doubt from the same corp as the Wolf.

I overheated my rockets, knowing I couldn’t fight both of them at the same time. Luckily the Wolf wasn’t tanked, and he was in deep hull by the time the Incursus landed around 11km away from me. I still had time! Switching to a manual orbit, I tried to move myself behind the Wolf, so it was between me and the Incursus. This was purely to give me a tiny bit more time, but it would be cool if I could have used him as a bullet shield...
Decent drop for once :D

So, the Wolf exploded gloriously as the Incursus closed range. By this point, I was in around 40-50% hull due to the Incursus’ drone and some lucky long range hits. I quickly established a 6km orbit around the Incursus like I’d originally planned for the Wolf, turned on my TD, and started plinking away at him, my two drones tearing his single Hobgoblin to shreds in a few seconds. I kept an eye on D-Scan for more reinforcements, but it seemed they had nobody else in system. His tank started to collapse under my overheated rockets, and after around twenty seconds or so, he gave up the ghost and exploded.

Amarr Victor! \o/

Offering a “gf gf” in Local, I went for the loot in both ships before marvelling at the flames venting from my humble Breacher, along with my heavily burnt weapons. Returning to Sahtogas, smug as fuck, I showed off my success in Militia chat because I’m an asshole like that.


Deep hull outside Sahtogas station. Was pretty intense!

They all seemed pretty impressed, and asked about my Breacher fit. I told them I didn’t want to give it out, but I’d lost them before if they felt like picking through my lossmails, so it was hardly a big secret. Besides, I’m going to do a little fitting post on it in a few days anyway, explaining my tactics and fit. I haven’t loved a ship this much since my old Taranises. It’s pretty tanky and if you fly it right it’s an absolute bitch to counter.

Anyway, here’s the battle report because it made me feel all warm and tingly inside:

Link

And good luck out there guys ;D

No comments:

Post a Comment