Friday 10 May 2013

There are girls in EVE?


This is going to be a short but odd post. Mainly because I’m not sure exactly how to explain this, but I thought that perhaps talking about it and making people more aware of what they're saying would help somewhat.

So I was flying in an Incursion fleet a few days ago, as a Logi. Completely typical fleet, everyone’s chatting quietly, FC is taking us through sites well, and we’re making ISK. We’re not blitzing but we’re hardly going slowly. New pilot joins fleet after x’ing up in TDF Channel. Not long after that I get the Teamspeak notification “User has joined your channel”. It quietens down for a few seconds in Teamspeak, as we wait for the new guy to say hi, like always.

Hi guys” he says.

Except it’s not a guy. It’s a woman.

I shit you not, TS3 lit up like freaking Christmas with guys making smart-ass comments.

I hear estrogen!
Oh my god a girl?
Girls on the internet are always men
Oh good, I was getting hungry. Make me a sandwich?
 Shouldn't you be in the kitchen?

Now personally I was semi-shocked and embarrassed for my fleet at this point. I have absolutely no problem with a girl being in my fleet, and I doubt many of those in my fleet would say they have a problem either, but seriously, those comments were verging on ridiculous. And of course when the FC told them to quieten down (which I was thankful for) they all claimed they were” joking”, or just “messing around”.

Yeah you might find it funny, but what if she gets this every time she joins a fleet and hears those jokes? It’d get old so fast you’d probably get sick of it. And the comments didn't truly stop after the FC intervened either. Dick jokes, kitchen jokes, sly sexual comments were all slipped into fleet comms and I just felt steadily more awkward to be in a fleet with these guys.

It can hardly be laughed off as a joke every time either. If that had been a guy joining fleet, we would have said hi back and gone back to chatting about new movies, or whatever it was before they joined. But no, it was a woman, and by the holy sign that is a vagina, the majority of my fleetmates felt the uncontrollable urge to make sexist comments. And some of them were seriously offensive from my point of view.

I don’t know if I’m really putting my point across here, but I just have this idea that all this sexist bullshit when a woman comes on comms is going to drive them away in the end. Why should they play EVE when they get a load of crap from the male player base? It doesn't surprise me that they've started their own private channels for women-only, I’d probably do the same in their position.

Maybe you guys think I’m overreacting, maybe you agree with me. Either way, I’m not comfortable with this sort of thing in a game I love to play. EVE should be a game for everyone to escape their troubles and enjoy themselves. Not get told to “go back to the kitchen”.

Good luck out there o7

P.S Also I would like to point out that my whole fleet wasn't at fault here, just a fair few.

4 comments:

  1. I've had several women in my corporation and my parties in other games and I feel the same. Sadly there are a rotten few males that feel the need to express them self's in such a poor manner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only that - it just gets tedious to listen to for everybody. If you want to be sexist, at least put some effort and thought into it.

    Same actually applies to smack talk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, those are just guys who always wanted to say those things in real life, but just know that they are not invincible as they feel on-line. They feel some sense of security on internet that makes them not care that they are still saying those things to a real people. And usually they are young people who have never worked on equal terms with women. "Or they could just be in-bred retards talking big".

    PS: I'm a guy who realize half the world is made up of women, not a feminist or non-feminist woman.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While there are definitely quite a bunch of unfunny low-brow idiots in this game, it has to be said that things can be different. I have a RL friend who's a woman and plays EVE. She never even felt the need to join WGOE because she felt that the people there would get more on her nerves than the guys in her corp. Last I heard, they had a disproportionate high number of women flying with them. With all the shit going on in this game and online in general, we sometimes need a reminder that not all men are just barely past the neanderthal stage of evolution ;)

    ReplyDelete