Saturday 14 July 2012

Cutting my ties to HighSec, one thread at a time

Recently, I've been toying with the idea of moving to LowSec permanently on my main (Seraph) more and more. I've always had several things keeping me tied down in HighSec, but slowly, they're starting to fade.

The main three things that have been keeping me in HighSec are ISK, my Corp, and my experience (in terms of both SP and practical PvP knowledge).

ISK of course, is a major problem. You can't really PvP without any ships or guns (sadly). So to fund this you need ISK, and a decent/constant supply of it. Hopefully as my SP increases and my experience increases, I'll find PvP to be more profitable in it's own right, but at the moment paying around 100 mil per Assault Frigate when I die is still quite a hit on my wallet. Luckily however, Seraph is no longer my "bread winner", as Zendrak's trading profits will soon be able to fund my PvP exploits (or atleast it looks like they will). This of course means I can start focusing on pure PvP on Seraph, which is nice, because it lets me kill pods and such without worrying about being able to get back into HighSec to make money.

Accurate depiction of me in LowSec without
my corpies...
Another obstacle is the fact I'm in a (HighSec based) corp. Actually no, the real obstacle is that I actually like the people and atmosphere in my corp, otherwise I would have run off to a LowSec corp (like the Black Rebel Rifter Club) a long time ago ;) Since we're based in HighSec right now, moving to LowSec on my own and earning a terrible security status would seriously cut me off from corp operations, such as roams which require jumps through HighSec. Basically, I would turn myself into a hermit if I moved to LowSec without my corp. Luckily though, our "Leadership" is planning to start basing us out of a LowSec system in some time soon (TM) which in turn, removes the problem of being a hermit.



The final barrier to LowSec life (for me anyway), was the fact I didn't feel "ready" in terms of both SP and experience. Obviously dying alot in PvP isn't really the way to go, so moving myself into LowSec without a decent grasp of what the hell I'm doing is going to get me killed. And podded. Alot. Of course, that doesn't seem like a fun way to play the game for me, so I decided to wait until I felt more confident in my own abilities and choices. Further wrapped up in this, is the fact I'd like to be able to fly a wide array of frigates before I move to LowSec, so I don't get bored flying the same thing every day. That of course requires more SP, which takes time.


However after I've trained Gallente Frigate V and Caldari Frigate V, I can pretty much jump right into the Ishkur, Enyo, Taranis, Hawk and Harpy, since I've already trained most of the offensive and defensive skills for them. The biggest train I'm looking at finishing in the near future is Interceptors V, purely so I can LOLWTFPWN in the Taranis, and fly fast tackle more often in our roams.

Taken at the start of our last corp roam, during which
I flew as scout/fast tackle in my beautiful Malediction :P

So basically, in the next few months I should be saying my final goodbyes to both Amarr and HighSec, and plunging right into the life of a "true" solo PvPer in LowSec.

It can't come quick enough in my opinion :P

Fly safe.


3 comments:

  1. As much as most people seem to think jumping through high sec with low sec status is a bad thing during roams, its quite minimally distracting. Im more scared of high sec than I am of low sec now, tbh, but if youre in a fast ship like a frigate, you can easily navigate high sec without any issues.

    Also, is awesome and we now have an alliance with a "try-out" corp to enable us to filter spies and the baddies without going through the whole app process of us trolling them. Or something....It was real complex with the boss was explaining it and I kinda got lost =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just gonna drop this here...

    http://brutorbullfighter.blogspot.com/2012/07/black-dragon-recruitment-opens.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, it's very tempting Korvus, but Adamas have me nailed down right now :P

    If they ever start pissing me off though, I'll definitely consider joining the Black Rebels :P

    ReplyDelete