Wednesday 22 February 2012

Quote of the Week - Sun Tzu Inspired

The quote this week comes from our esteemed CEO. Without further ado...

Myopic Thyne > The best battles are those that are won without firing a shot


At first I thought this was incredibly stupid. How can you win a fight without actually fighting? It doesn't work.

Then later on I spoke to a ninja salvager (Dan Sen) while I was missioning. Besides some interesting information he told me, (which I posted about earlier) he also linked me this killmail.

Huh?! He used a target painter and instapopped a battlecruiser?

Well no, it's actually alot simpler than that. This killmail is all down to the way killmails are formed/calculated (whatever you want to call it). Any offensive module fired at a player is recorded in their damage log until a session change occurs (e.g docking), even if it does no damage. This is how people whore on killmails by firing at something far out of their range, even if they don't hit it, the shots are still recorded as attempted damage, and therefore shown on the killmail.

Still not make sense?

What if I told you (if you didn't already know) that CONCORD is not shown on killmails?

Yeah this is suddenly awesomely stupid. Here's the sequence of events from what Dan told me.

Dan scans down the BC -> Dan begins to loot and salvage, therefore turns flashy red to the BC -> BC fires on Dan, but he survives, target paints the BC and warps out -> Dan waits out aggression timer and warps back in -> BC assumes he still has kill rights on Dan and fires -> CONCORDOKKEN -> Dan gets more free loot and carebear tears


So I guess it is possible to win a fight without you firing a shot :D
Myo clearly knows what he's on about when impersonating Sun Tzu...

No comments:

Post a Comment