Tuesday 12 August 2014

Moving Pains (Jump Freighter Woes)

So ages back when I wanted to buy a Jump Freighter, namely an Ark, I never actually put any thought into what I'd use it for beyond supplying Seraph with bulky ships in deep LowSec and ship spinning occasionally.

It's almost cute now how naive I was.

So when I finally had the ability to fly one, I told pretty much everyone about it. For me it was just a big a milestone as getting into my Archon. And stupidly I told my CEO. You know what ships are useful for moving large amounts of people's crap from one end of the universe to another? Jump Freighters. What is my alliance doing at the moment? Yeah you guessed it. And I'm one of a rare breed in my corp who fit the two requirements of being able to fly a JF, and actually own one. To make it worse I'm the only EU timezone JF pilot that I know of. If there are others they're keeping quiet about it, the bastards.

You can probably guess what my bitching is leading up to so I'll put it out in the open now.

I have a moral duty to move millions of m3 of people's crap out of the kindness of my own heart. That means calculating jump fuel amounts, setting up cyno alts, preparing safe station jumps, checking for potential threats to my 6 billion ISK ship and it's cargo everytime I undock, using dusty market alts as scouts in far flung systems and making frequent note of individuals and corps known to kill JFs in every system I need to use as a cyno point. Oh and I'm also paying for the fuel at the moment, but I think the corp will cover my costs.

Basically it's exhausting and boring work, made frequently stressful by Local spikes, random roaming gangs and members of dangerous hotdropping alliances meandering through. Trust me, you've not felt real fear until you've jumped your JF in system just as a Shadow Cartel member comes into Local. I thought I was about to scream, cry and shit myself all at the same time.

He just kept flying though.

So yeah, I'm being an absolute crybaby at the moment and frankly people from my alliance might read this and get the wrong idea. I really have nothing against doing this, because I know I'm one of the few people we have that can do it. I also know I should be setting an example as an "experienced" player to our new recruits. So I'll suck it up and deal with it, and I still love you all :D

But I swear if one more of you little *********s puts like 50km3 of stuff into a container that's 250km3 in volume and contracts the whole thing to me to move (not naming any names), I'm going to awox you halfway through our next fleet. That's a promise.

Have a nice day!

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back! And yes, JFs are awesome things, right? =)

    ~K

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA!

    "Trust me, you've not felt real fear until you've jumped your JF in system just as a Shadow Cartel member comes into Local. I thought I was about to scream, cry and shit myself all at the same time."

    Welcome to my world. Just replace SC with "Surely You're Joking". :D I'm sure they've a cyno-doctrine

    ReplyDelete