Wednesday 23 May 2012

Keep your grubby fingers off my Vengeance

I know I'm not fantastic at PvP (though I'm attempting to improve :P). Infact, I know I'm pretty sub-par at fitting ships, and generally have to go to websites or other players so I can fly something that won't embarrass me when I die. But when I feel like taking a crack at building my own fit, I like to think I can do it fairly effectively. It won't be groundbreaking, but I'll make a damn decent attempt at fitting the ship.

You know the thing I'm talking about. Build the fit around the advantages and bonuses the ship gets. Put some thought into different permutations and which one will be most effective overall. Finetune the fit after you barely survive/die in a glorious inferno to get the maximum potential out of it and iron out flaws you missed the first time around. That sort of thing.

Or alternatively, you can do what this guy did, and just assume that whatever you fit to a ship will work itself out. Why yes, that is a kiting laser Vengeance. (Didn't you know that's the new thing?). There are two things about this fit that flat out annoy me, because it speaks of ignorance on the part of the pilot (and that really gets on my nerves :P)

For the majority of you who don't fly the Veng, you may be wondering what my problem is with this fit. It's Amarrian right? Amarrian ships use lasers, jeez...

Yeah no.

The Vengeance, as you may have worked out from its shiny black and silver colour scheme, is a Khanid design. Khanid designs use missiles on Amarrian hulls (which is about twenty different kinds of awesome) while looking sexy as hell.

So the Sacrilege, for example, uses Heavy Assault Missiles. The Vengeance, in turn, uses rockets. Maybe you can start to see why this fit makes me a little "Sad Panda" inside. CCP even realised that people may assume that the Vengeance is meant to use lasers (Amarr, duh), and gave it some pretty nice missile bonuses, just to make it abundantly clear that "THIS SHIP USES MISSILES, KAY?"

Vengeance

Amarr Frigate Skill Bonus:
5% bonus to Rocket Damage per level
-5% bonus to Missile Launcher Rate of Fire per level


So I'd like to think it's fairly obvious the Vengeance is a rocket boat. Not only that, but the Vengeance has only three turret slots, but five highslots. Looks a little empty up there with just lasers don't you think?

What makes this even worse, is that if you're dead set on using lasers on a T2 Punisher hull, I have the perfect ship for you. It's called a Retribution. Why use the Vengeance when there is a ship designed for what you're trying to do?!

First problem with this fit has been pointed out I think.


The other problem is the fitting of a disruptor. You're really doing yourself no favours here. If you're going to AB fit a frigate, you need a web and scram to keep MWD fitted stuff at a speed you can deal with. Otherwise it's just going to break range and escape before you can do any real damage to it. Therefore, there's little point (pun intended) in fitting a disruptor over a scram on the Vengeance unless you need the extra range (which should never happen, because rockets run out of fuel after about 10km with decent skills).  So this suggests to me that the pilot was trying to kite in a Vengeance using scorch crystals. This would be a great plan on a Retribution. The Vengeance? Not so much.

The main reason why, is that an AB Vengeance is slow. Seriously slow. Amarr has the slowest assault frigates, and that's painfully obvious when you try to break 900m/s in one of them. A MWD would help with this obviously, but fighting in scram range can really bite you in the ass if you do this (though Korvus likes to think he's fixed this problem by using faction scrams/webs for more range. Doesn't sound like it would work to me, but I haven't tried it yet).

So, we have a kiting ship that's stupidly easy to catch and does terrible DPS because it has no bonuses to laser damage and can only fit three of them. Wow. I applaud your bravery, but it's not ever going to work.

Infact, the more I look at this fit, it looks more and more like somebody mixed up the Retribution, and the Vengeance. Maybe the guy was in a rush and fitted the wrong ship? Maybe? (Not that they look totally different or anything...)

Even so, it still makes me feel ill looking at it.



P.S That Megathron pilot should also be embarrassed for using heavy drones on a frigate
P.P.S Thanks to "iwinyoulost" for sending me this killmail :)




2 comments:

  1. Hey Seraph, I agree on this fit being terrible. Even with Scorch, he doesnt reach *that* much further than rockets do by default on the hull itself. I dont agree in that people shouldnt be ridiculed for trying a fit like this (I did before I could use rockets on my old character). The reason I feel like this, is that out of the box, even sometimes stupid ideas, reveal new secrets to ship fittings. This one though, not so much =P

    And btw, go fight a kiting ship, something maybe like an interceptor or other kiter who likes to use a long point with MWD. They dont expect 18km webs or 13.5km Scrams. Then they go boom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A laser veng is nearly the height of a terrible fit. It deserves to be shut down. It means that the player either didn't read and care about what the veng what for, or the player was trolling...

    Either way.

    ReplyDelete