Thursday 29 March 2012

Dun dun dun, another Wolf bites the dust...

I apologise for my terrible use of that song in the post title.

But in all seriousness, my Vengeance seems to be a bit of a Wolf-killing machine. Maybe it's because my highest resists are Expl/Kin, which the Minmatar fire like it's going out of fashion (Barrage anyone?). Maybe it's because after fighting Wolves on Sisi, I know that they really don't like Nova Rage Rockets to the face. Maybe I'm becoming an awesome PvP god like I've always wanted to be.

Or maybe it's just pure blind luck, and the next Wolf I fight will rip me a new facehole to breathe out of. Such is EVE.

As per usual, I was wandering around the Ami/Fensi area while sticking my head into the systems nearby. Nothing much was around (but I saw Quin Yi again, I swear that guy is stalking me) so I headed a little deeper into LowSec. I had already told myself I wasn't leaving until I either had a kill, or had lost my ship in a fiery explosion. This attitude has got me several kills recently, so I might have to start doing it more (Although it also caused several deaths, mainly to Quin Yi...)

Eventually I ended up in Pananan with only one other guy in Local. A quick check of Battleclinic didn't look too good for my chances, but D-Scan said "Wolf" and I'd already killed one this week. Why not try again? I spent about ten or fifteen minutes trying to scan this guy down, but no matter where I warped, he never seemed to be where I expected him. There were no POSs, no sites, nothing "off-map" so to speak. He must have been warping constantly, but eventually we stumbled into each other at a station.

Still can't get over how awesome this ship looks...
Neither one of us wanted to go flashy under station guns, as although Assault Frigates are tough buggers, station guns are still pretty dangerous to us (although I now know that my Vengeance can actually tank gate guns for a short time due to a fight with a Drake a few days ago). Instead, the Wolf warped off to a nearby belt (at which point I started recording). However when I got there, he had already been aggroed by rats and soon warped off. No need to give me an advantage I guess.

I warped off to the planet after him, and landed barely 20km away. Time to do or die.

Once again, I let him take the GCC. I've been trying to protect my security status recently, as getting kicked out of HighSec (and therefore Incursions) will wipe out my income stream for PvP. And that would be bad. I waited until I saw the first damage notification, then hit on most of my modules while debating if I should overheat my launchers. I quickly surmised from the DPS I was taking that I would need every advantage I could get, and hit them on. I also kept toggling the overheat on my rep, afraid of burning it out and dooming myself to a quick death. (I seriously need to train Thermodynamics to IV so I can stop worrying about this stuff so much)

The fight was short, brutal, and extremely close. I managed to cling to hull however, and survived with only 43% structure. My Centii repper definitely saved my ass here. That tiny bit more armour repaired per cycle kept my armour going with it's stupidly high resists still in effect, despite dipping into hull enough to make me panic. The Wolf exploded while I was still considering if I should run or not (by the end of the fight he appeared to have burnt out his scram, because it wasn't showing on my overview).

"Gf" was exchanged in Local before I started flying back to HighSec. I checked the killmail, and once again, faction loot eludes me. The Loot-Gods must really have it in for people who don't take the GCC :(

Anyway, here's the Youtube link, the fight starts at about 2:10 after I chase the guy around a little. I also remembered to put the recording quality up, so it doesn't look like such a blurry mess. And at about 4:00 you can see me spamming my rep in panic. It made me laugh a little watching it back, I didn't realise how nervous I was.

Spaceships are serious business!

2 comments:

  1. Good fight. I feel you should have started OH'ing your repper around 50-75% armor though. I think if you had, you would not have hit structure. Also, work on your cap skills, as thats life or death for the Vengeance.

    I noticed you OH'd your guns for a cycle or two, but then turned off the heat until the wolf's armor reached 50% or so. IMO, you should have kept OH'ing until they couldnt take it anymore. That extra dps throughout the fight (notice your guns were only 30%-ish damaged at the end?) would have assured you not hitting hull at all due to him hitting it much sooner. I had a recent fight where my launchers ended at 96% damaged. One or two more cycles and they would have burnt out, but thats how close the fight was!

    Anyhow, otherwise, a good fight, nice job! Btw, what do you use to record your fights? I have been debating on recording mine as well lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thanks for the pointers, it's nice to have help from another Vengeance pilot :P I agree I'm probably being too careful around OH but I'm just scared of leaving myself defenseless in a fight that's only halfway through. And I've realised just how true it is that "cap is life" in the Vengeance, my cap skills will be pushed to the top of the skill queue.

      And to record my fights I use Overwolf. It's not amazing quality, but it's free and pretty simple to use, so I'm not complaining :P

      I'd love to see some videos of your Vengeance fights!

      Delete