Tuesday 25 June 2013

I need to stop buying things

"Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur"

That quote will make sense in a bit.

You know you've got too much money when you start buying carriers just because you can. No seriously, I already had an Archon, I'm about 7 days from being able to sit in/move it and about two or three months from combat ready (Slowcat fit).

And then a few days ago on the Alliance forums I started reading about triage carriers. "Sounds cool" I thought and kept reading. I've always had a thing for triage carriers due to the video reports put out by Rooks and Kings but I've never really looked into them beyond that. Turns out that Archons are preferred for armour triage, but apparently Chimeras are the only good option for shield triage, because the Nidhoggur, despite looking awesome and having a rep bonus, has a tank like a wet paper bag. "Well" I thought, "I can refit my Archon for armour triage, since I don't need to change the rigs, but what if shield triage is called for? I want to get in on that too".

So then I started looking on contracts, just because I'm curious of the price of a rigged Chimera. Turns out, they're "only" around 1.35 bil, which is actually a few hundred mil lower than hull price + new capital rigs. So I bought one. I didn't even think it through that much besides "I'm going to want one eventually, better buy it before the price goes up".

And then I'm looking at my stupidly named new Chimera in the assets window and think "Welp, better buy the fit and stuff for when it's finally ready to be moved" So I do. That's like another bil or so (including the skillbooks etc that I need. Caldari Carrier anyone?). I contract it up to Black Frog so I can get it moved into LowSec. Another hundred mil for that. Also another sixty mil for moving some extra stuff out to my Archon. Sigh.

I'm poor now by the way.

Then I look at a skill plan for a T2 triage Chimera. It's a facepalm moment. A hundred and fifty days. The only good news is that alot of skills required will also be needed for my Archon, so training for my Archon first will actually cut down time for the Chimera too. The only real "extra" skills I need are better shield skills for the capital shield reps, since Zendrak has been almost pure Amarr + armour up until now. Even so, it's still a long train. Slightly put out, I stare a bit longer at my Chimera in the assets window.

And then I think, "Damn, this is a stupid name, a string of random symbols doesn't mean anything. I better go over and rename it". So I go from Jita to my shiny new carrier and sit in the station wondering what to name it. And then I'm like, why not call all my big ships something cool? Why not Latin names? Latin sounds pretty fancy.

A quick Wikipedia search for Latin phrases. I easily find some nice ones.

I rename both my carriers. And my Rattlesnake, but that doesn't count :)

Exciting times ahead


So now I've got my triage Chimera "Alis Volat Propiis", which means "She Flies With Her Own Wings" and my slowcat Archon "Per Ardua Ad Astra", which means "Through Adversity to the Stars", which I thought suited EVE pretty well. I've decided I'm going to name all my capitals like this in the future. If I get a Revelation (the only dreadnought I'd enjoy flying), I quite like "Ira Deorum" or "Wrath of the Gods". We will see.

I can already hear people yelling "Saaaad" but I don't really care. I always thought big ships should have important sounding names, so this is my version of role-playing.

Bite me.


Good luck out there guys ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment